Quenching Research Centre (QRC) has been established at the beginning of 2010 by the financial support of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sport, of the Republic of Croatia, as a national centre of excellence.
QRC is part of the Department of Materials of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Zagreb, and is supported by other laboratories for: heat treatment and surface engineering, chemical composition analysis, microstructural analysis, spectroscopy, mechanical properties testing, wear resistance testing, dilatometry, and corrosion testing.
Investigation and research possibilities of the QRC:
- cooling in three different kinds of quenchants: liquids, salt bath and high pressure gases by unique facilities.
- measuring of cooling curves and evaluation of heat transfer data at quenching (heat flux density; heat transfer coefficient) of real axially-symetric engineering components with a cylindrical probe of 50 mm Dia. x 200 mm, having three thermocouples, by applying the Temperature Gradient Method.
- modelling of microstructure transformations, quench hardness distribution, residual stresses and distortions.
- establishing the data bases of quenching intensities for different quenchants.
- developing and application of new quenching techniques.
- developing of the method for hardenability measurement of gas quenched steels and establishing the data base.
- Selection of the optimal quenchant and quenching conditions for defined workpieces.
- Testing of new, improved, or used quenchants under different quenching conditions, based on the method used for real workpieces.
- Based on CFD analysis in real conditions, to improve existing or design new quenching equipment.
Educational activities of the QRC:
- Individual education and possibility to work on Ph.D. at the doctoral study at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb
- Postdoctoral research – provided the applicant has relevant financial support.
- Organization of specialized courses, summer school and seminars.
QRC is open for international collaboration with interested companies and institutions world wide.