Božidar Liščić received his BS in Mech. Engineering (1954) from the University of Zagreb (Croatia), and his Ph.D. in Material Science (1975) from the same university. He is full professor (retired) of the Faculty for Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture the University of Zagreb. In the period 1971-1990 he served as UNDP Expert for Heat Treatment in: Israel, India, Egypt, Turkey, Bangladesh and Pakistan. He is past-president of the International Federation for Heat Treatment and Surface Engineering (IFHTSE), and a Fellow of ASM International. From 2003 to 2008 he was member of the Standing Committee for Physical and Engineering Sciences of the European Science Foundation (ESF). He is a Founding member of the ASM-Heat Treating Society, and a Full member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
He is author or co-author of over 100 publications, and contributed to the following books: Technologie der Wärmebehandlung von Stahl, Leipzig (Germany) 1987; Theory and Technology of Quenching (editor), New York, 1992; Steel Heat Treatment Handbook, New York 1997; Steel Heat Treatment Handbook – Second Edition – Metallurgy and Technologies, CRC-Press, Boca Raton, 2007; Theory and Technology of Quenching – Second Edition (editor), CRC-Press, 2010.
In 2006 he was awarded the ADOLF-MARTENS MEDAL by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Wärmebehandlung und Werkstofftechnik e.V. (Germany).
Selected recent publication related to quenching:
- B. Liščić: Der Wärmeentzug beim Härten, HTM, 62 (2007) 6. p.250-259
- B. Liščić: Heat Transfer Control During Quenching, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 24 (2009), 879-886.
- D. Landek, B. Liščić, T. Filetin, Th. Lübben, D. Lisjak: Hardenability Testing and Simulation of Gas-Quenched Steel, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 24 (2009), 868-872.
- B. Liščić: System for Process Analysis and Hardness Prediction when Quenching Axially-Symmetrical Workpieces of any Shape in Liquid Quenchants, Materials Science Forum, Vols. 638-642(2010), pp.3966-3974., Trans Tech. Publications, Switzerland.
- B. Liščić, S. Singer, B. Smoljan: Prediction of Quench-Hardness Within the Whole Volume of Axially-Symmetric Workpieces of any Shape, Journal of ASTM International, Vol.7, No.2 (2010).
University of Zagreb
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture
Department of Materials
I. Lucica Street 5
HR-10000 Zagreb, Croatia
E-mail Božidar Liščić